As I sat in the park after my morning walk, my wife came and slumped next to me.
She had completed her 30-minute jog. We chatted for a while. She said she was not happy in life. I looked up at her in sheer disbelief since she seemed to have the best of everything in life.
“Why do you think so?”
“I don’t know. Everyone tells me I have everything I needed, but I am not happy.”
“Then I questioned myself, “am I happy?” “No,” was my inner voice reply.
Now, that was an eye-opener for me.
I began my quest to understand the real cause of my unhappiness, I couldn’t find one. I dug deeper, read articles, spoke to life coaches but nothing made sense.
At last a doctor friend gave me the answer which put all my questions and doubts to rest.
I implemented those and will say I am much happier person.
She said, “there are four hormones which determine a human’s happiness namely:
3. Serotonin and
It is important that we understand these hormones, as we need all four to stay happy.
Let’s look at the first hormone, the Endorphins.
• When we exercise, the body releases Endorphins.
• This hormone helps the body cope with the pain of exercising. We then enjoy exercising because these Endorphins will make us happy.
• Laughter is another good way of generating Endorphins.
• We need to spend 30 minutes exercising every day, read or watch funny stuff to get our day’s dose of Endorphins.
The second hormone is Dopamine.
• In our journey of life, we accomplish many little and big tasks, which release various levels of Dopamine.
• When we get appreciated for our work at the office or at home, we feel accomplished and good, that is because it releases Dopamine.
• This also explains why most housewives are unhappy since they rarely get acknowledged or appreciated for their work. Once, we join work, we buy a car, a house, the latest gadgets, a new house and so on and so forth. In each instance, it releases Dopamine and we become happy.
Now, do we realize why we become happy when we shop?
The third hormone Serotonin
• Serotonin is released when we act in a way that benefits others.
• When we transcend ourselves and give back to others or to nature or to the society, it releases Serotonin. Even providing useful information on the internet like writing information blogs, answering peoples questions on Quora or Facebook groups will generate Serotonin.
• That is because we will use our precious time to help other people via our answers or articles.
The final hormone is Oxytocin
• Oxytocin is released when we become close to other human beings.
• When we hug our friends or family, Oxytocin is released.
• The *”Jadoo Ki Jhappi”* from Munnabhai does really work.
• Similarly, when we shake hands or put our arms around someone’s shoulders, various amounts of Oxytocin is released.
So, it is simple, we have to exercise every day to get Endorphins,
We have to accomplish little goals and get Dopamine, we need to be nice to others to get Serotonin and finally, hug our kids, friends and families need to get Oxytocin and we will be happy.
When we are happy, we can deal with our challenges and problems better.
Now, we can understand why we need to hug a child who has a bad mood.
So, to make your child more and more happy day by day:
1. Motivate them to play on the ground – *Endorphins*
2. Appreciate your child for their small and big achievements – *Dopamine*
3. Inculcate a sharing habit through you to your child – *Serotonin*
4. Hug your child – *Oxytocin*
Have a Happy Life.
Note: This is a guest post by my colleague Fatemeh S. I hope that you find it useful as I did which is the main reason I decided to share it on here.
Let’s keep reading Loves!